Sunday, January 30, 2005

doki-doki

friday night's gathering of both japanese teachers and alt's was a strange blend of 'justine at work' and 'regular justine'. yahara sensei, one of the japanese english teachers i teach with at toyoura, was at this enkai. several drinks into the night (that is, everybody), i sat down next to him and started chatting. his alcohol induced state allowed him to speak much more freely than he does at school, and we ended up having a really nice conversation.
he told me that when he sees me at school, he thinks i am so lonely because everyone is too shy to talk to me. he says that he feels so sad for me, but that he is too worried to talk with me because he is "shy boy". japanese people have several really cute expressions which consist of saying one word twice, and fast. one such example of this is 'doki-doki' (said while thumping one's heart). it basically means your heart is beating fast (because you are nervous, or, more likely, because something has 'touched you'). so he said "i see justine sensei sitting at her desk, and my heart goes doki-doki, and i feel so sad". i laughed and said i am completely fine at work (usually msning one of you guys). so then we promised we'd talk more at work and that we are now 'tomodachi' (friends).
watashi-tashi ima wa tomodachi desu. is this right?

7 Comments:

Blogger natalie said...

indeed it was an odd blend of people, of personality types, of behaviours displayed, i think we sang "i will survive" "copacabana" you sang some green day crap, there was some bon jovi sung by lindsay with an absurd amount of heart in it,way too much eminem, someone did the obligatory oasis, which one, i cannot recall, oh oh, i know, we did "like a prayer" , lauryn hill was a big mistake, oh oh now i recall that we also did 'you're so vain" what a strange night, wanted to stay longer but found Megan face down on the cherry coloured carpet, you did not attempt to tatoo anyone or do anything inappropriate, that i was privy to, good job! the crows haave left my nighborhood, have you seen them?
see you tonight.

3:05 a.m.  
Blogger kittykat said...

one i WILL find a karaoke place that has peaches..

Arrr J, that story about your teacher was too cute! Poor Justine sensei...i wonder if my teachers think the same?

Managed to leave my car lights on AGAIN today, killing my battery, stuck in the snow for an hour, had to call a guy out to help, not meant to be driving to work, he goes into the staff room announcing 'Where is Kathryn-san, er car is broken!' AHhhhhhh, so then mu supervisor calls telling me about this (yeah, im sat outside hiding in my car in the car park round th ecorner from school where i hide my car) and she tells me shes sent the guy to my apartment.....jesus.

Freezing cold, and a an hour of frost bite later, i groggy, my heater wont bloody work, and so im curled up in 3 blankets. Poor me. Oh dea, ive totally stolen your limelight. Sorry. I wanted to go snowboarding tonight as well :-(

have fun girls....
xxxxxx

6:18 a.m.  
Blogger kittykat said...

yeah, as you can see, i cant type either. Sorry about that.

Oh yeah, wanna go skiing friday night? i think the weather will be good. ...lots of sun! And today all that powder...yay!

6:20 a.m.  
Blogger Justine said...

YOU'RE SO VAIN!!! it's all coming back to me now...
kitty-chan, i can't believe that happened to you! that SUCKS! (although, as you know, i can relate - minus the stuck in my car being cold bit). so did you stay home today? everyone's sick, it's unreal!
and the snow! can you believe it? between yesterday evening coming home from work and this morning leaving for work, i've shovelled my driveway four times. and i mean each time i'm taking at least a foot off. i can only imagine how it looks now...it just keeps on coming!

9:10 p.m.  
Blogger Est said...

hey!- they do the same thing in vietnamese too- the double word thing.

9:47 p.m.  
Blogger kittykat said...

OK, just had to come and tell you this...

So, after lunch, the kids are doing their hanging around in the corridor thing, a fight kicks off, the teachers are pulling 2 kids apart. I ask my supervisor..

"What the hell was that about?!"

"oh, i think he's just a fucking asshole"

I love my supervisor!

11:16 p.m.  
Blogger Justine said...

THAT IS HILARIOUS KAT. i couldn't even imagine my supervisor saying that. i'm pissing myself laughing right now!

12:02 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home