Wednesday, May 31, 2006

today i don't feel like making any decisions

i've got this vietnam trip on my mind and it is really stressing me out, i'm not sure why. i guess it just seems like too much to sort out in such a short period of time. also, june and july are becoming so busy, squeezing a trip to hanoi in there (including the expenses) seems at this point a bit excessive. however, vietnam is definitely on my list of places i'd like to visit before i leave, and with esther being there it really is the perfect opportunity. and, since i've decided i won't go anywhere in august due to other commitments, why shouldn't i have this trip?
6 days of nenkyu. ouch. i know i can't complain with my (so much) nenkyu situation...it's just nice to have some reserves sometimes. and how i WISH i could fly out of niigata.

last night as i was in my apartment waiting for some friends to arrive for dinner, it suddenly occurred to me that my bike was still in the bicycle parking at the JR station. i'd left it there on saturday when i biked to get the train and i'd completely forgotten about it. so i left tomoko in my apartment and went to collect it. it was just after 7pm - and at that perfect time of dusk. i arrived at the bike parking area and collected my bike. as i was biking home, listening to sneakerpimps on my ipod, in the dusk of the evening, i had one of those 'japan' moments. they happen less and less often now that i've lived here for so long, but it's like a little rush and a feeling of 'oh. i'm in japan'. it's like you're on holiday, that feeling you get. so i took a detour home, cycled by the japanese gardens and even by a temple i'd never even noticed before. the temple is huge - and only about two streets away from my apartment. it's got a bit of dense bamboo forest and a large graveyard. it's all walled - i could only see in while standing up on my pedals. sorry tomoko...

fish egg-stuffed smelts on the menu for kyushoku today. good.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

vietnam is great. i loved it. prefered it to thailand in lots of ways. i flew into hanoi, traveled down to nha trang (beach) and out of ho chi minh/saigon. great food, great people,great place. stay away from the local spirits though. they gave me a "japan eye" after i burst a blood vessel in my eye from violent vomiting after a full moon party!!!
too much info there tabun...

12:56 a.m.  
Blogger Justine said...

yep. i'm gonna go. just gotta sort out this flight business.

2:16 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home