Tuesday, February 15, 2005

radiation

for some unknown reason i had to have a chest examination today (aka chest xray). my head english teacher (who speaks english and usually tells me what to do) was absent from school today so i had no idea where i was supposed to go, only that i had an appointment at 11am. so i managed to ask the secretary in very broken japanese where i was supposed to go, and she told me to go to the board of education (around the corner). so i went there, and went upstairs to see my supervisor, who looked at me with a puzzled look upon his face. again, thru japenglish and gestures, i managed to convey to him why i was there. finally, recognition flashed across his face and he said, "ah! wakarimasu!" (i understand) and he led me to the window and pointed outside. i looked down to see a large van parked in the parking lot. my supervisor then pointed to another man, ogawa-san, who led me downstairs and to the van. there were curtains drawn across the space between the rear open doors, and ogawa-san pointed at them and motioned for me to go inside. so, cautiously i krept up the steps to the van and slinked behind the curtains. there i saw a man doing up his pants. the doctor quickly rushed over and drew more curtains around the pant-less guy. i said a quick "gomenasai!" and tried to make sense of the sitation. the man finally immerged from the curtains, and left through the back of the van. then the doctor approached me and motioned for me to go behind the curtain. i did, but had no idea what i was supposed to do, so i simply removed my sweater and came out still wearing my t-shirt, which the doctor THANKFULLY said was 'daijobu'. i then went into this other 'room' in the van, where there was a large machine. i was told to crouch in this very awkward position placing my chin on this wierd strap thing. no large, magnetic coat was placed around me to avoid unessessary cancer-causing radiation. the doctor briefly left the 'room' then came back a few moments later, after this strange machine made a couple of noises around my chest area. he then motioned for me to go into that strange curtain-drawn area to replace my sweater. i did so, and in the process walked into an old woman getting undressed. should i be concerned...?

5 Comments:

Blogger beckstar said...

i'd say YEAH but that's just my paranoia creeping in. i mean isn't the point of the big lead bib to protect from ovarian exposure to radiation???

12:35 a.m.  
Blogger shinanos said...

Haha!
Unexpected accidents during the radiation or other medical checks, I also met a lot in the past :)
Japanese people, sometimes have no concern 'bout exposing their important parts, I suppose...
We have public-onsen culture, you know.
But I don't feel good when I watch that kinda scene too! The other day, I met eyes with a teenager who is pissing on the street...I passed him away not to look back again...

12:48 a.m.  
Blogger natalie said...

J-chan,yes, i had one too and it creeped me out.... you are not just paraniod.. it is ick

12:54 a.m.  
Blogger Est said...

what the...?

1:07 a.m.  
Blogger kittykat said...

yeah. ok

this country. is. odd

10:01 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home