Friday, June 08, 2007

just a few tidbits on a friday afternoon

lately i've been forgetting that i am in niigata prefecture. with the exception of a freak tropical-like storm wednesday evening, it has been beautiful sunshine everyday. tuesday and wednesday i got to spend outside, watching my kids' sport's day festival. this friday suddenly crept up on me and...in 1 hour it will be the start of my weekend. and i feel like...already??? sugoi!!
today in class the 2-nensei kids were learning this dialogue between aki and jim. it went something like this:
jim: "are you hungry aki?"
aki: "no."
jim: "really? aren't you hungry???"
aki: "yes."
...and therefore jim is of course confused, as he doesn't realize that in japanese you always respond directly to the question, confirming it (ie - "are you not hungry? yes, that's right, i am not hungry.")
this just brought me back to my first year (or more!) here having random conversations with the teachers. for example:
me: "are we teaching the 2nd graders next?"
sensei: "yes."
me: "so we're not teaching the 3rd graders then."
sensei: "yes."
me: "we are?"
sensei: "no."

i wonder if that means that when the vice principal looks at my short sleeves and says, "samukunai, justine san?" and i say "iie" ("you're not cold, justine?"..."no") what i am conveying is in fact "no, i am cold".
now i'm just confusing myself!

so. this weekend. i'm going to check out a kite battle in shirone tomorrow morning, followed by a bbq by the kaji river with jon and the shibakami crew. sunday i'm heading to a porch party in the city with lins and anna. tanoshimi!
oh. my toes are healing. will hopefully be back at kickboxing by the end of next week.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the link to the kite festival is great..especially the photos on his newsletter that he wrote for his company.

7:33 a.m.  
Blogger Justine said...

well, i totally just stole it from online...i have no idea where it's from...

9:05 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home