Tuesday, February 28, 2006

what is up with my good mood???

i went to the bank at lunch today and had 17 people in front of me (number 198). and all i needed was a new bank book. however, i was helped by my favourite T-san, who is not only tall and cute but also speaks a bit of english. oh sugoi.
they are doing road construction on my narrow little street. they are not widening it. you see, my street is the kind of street where two cars can't pass each other without one pulling into a driveway or something. and i have a minicar. i can put my car in my pocket yet i can't pass oncoming traffic.
but i like my street. it's very quaint, with a little canal running alongside it. the driveway to my house is suspended over this canal...with no barrier at all on the sides. it's rather treacherous at times on occasions when the road is snowy and slippery - with only a thin floppy cable between my little minicar and the water below. especially when i have to attempt to pass an SUV which is stupidly trying to negotiate my street. also rather treacherous for my drunken old-man neighbour who likes to pass out right next to the canal in the middle of the night. actually before i left canada i was told at one of those JET workshops that this particular ex-JET (who was doing a presentation on drinking in japan) was telling a story about his drunken neighbour (who incidentally used to come home at night and let himself into said-JET's apartment thinking it was his and pass out on the couch). anyway this old drunken neighbour of this ex-JET ended up driving his bicycle into the river one night and drowning himself.
so back to the construction.
every morning i leave my house on my bike and pass this young construction dude, wearing his bright aqua construction uniform and baby-blue construction hat. he always steps clear of my bike, waves his little baton thing and bows with a tiny flash of a nervous smile. i think it's rather endearing and now i give him a little bow back, wearing a huge friendly (if not flirty) grin. i think i probably scare the poor little dude...tall gaigin woman barralling along on her bike flashing a huge smile and making eye contact. eye contact. oh the horror of horrors. but now we've developed this friendly little routine which we execute twice a day at precisely 7:55am and again at 4:15pm.
after school i get to see my ichi-ban daisuki little girl - nina chan.
speaking of favourite little girls...just now i got an email from loralie saying she's begun having contractions!!!!!!!!! I AM GOING TO BE AN AUNT TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger kittykat said...

any sign of baby anbeek then!!??

8:49 a.m.  
Blogger Justine said...

not yet!

5:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home